Laser skin resurfacing is a proven way to help reduce wrinkles, acne scars, stretch marks and other blemishes as well as tighten skin and balance tone. Our Non-Ablative resurfacing lasers create tiny heat columns into the skin. These tiny thermal injuries cause a remodeling response in the skin that creates new collagen and elastin. It targets the dermis and the epidermis to minimize large pores & fine wrinkles, improve firmness, and create better skin tone and texture. Lines around the eyes (crow’s feet) are typically greatly improved with a series of three treatments. The entire treated area (face, neck, chest, hands, etc) becomes smoother in the weeks and months following this treatment. There is a tightening of the skin as well from the increase in collagen that is generated by your body in response to this treatment. This is one of our patient’s favorite treatments due to its minimal discomfort and downtime, yet overall improvement in texture and lines. It is even more impressive when combined with our other technologies (see our 3D treatments).
Are you a good candidate for a laser skin resurfacing?
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider laser skin resurfacing:
- You have leathery, sun-damaged skin with numerous fine/moderate lines & wrinkles
- You have wrinkling around your eyes and skin laxity in your lower eyelid area
- You have vertical wrinkles around your mouth
- You have scars that have made the surface of your skin uneven
What to Expect
The 1540 Resurfacing treatment feels similar to little pin pricks, which can be uncomfortable especially in sensitive areas. We have our patients use a topical numbing medication before the procedure and special ice rollers during the procedure to minimize any possible discomfort. The 1540 Resurfacing treatment is a non-ablative laser; this means it does not destroy any skin cells as an ablative laser does- it merely heats them up. Because of this, the healing process is quick and you can return to work within a day or two. The 1540 hand piece is truly state of the art and uses point compression and a unique lens design to allow for a greater depth of penetration.
- How many treatments will I need?
- A typical course of treatment involves 3 procedures performed at one-month intervals. However, everyone’s skin conditions are unique, so your aesthetic provider will customize the treatment for optimal results on your skin. Deeper textural issues, including scars & stretch marks typically require more treatments.
- How long does it take?
- Treatments are quick and take between 15-60 minutes depending on the area treated.
- How long before I can resume normal activities?
- Typically, you can resume regular activities the same day as your treatment, although due to some redness and swelling, you may experience a day or two of “social downtime”.
- Is it safe?
- Laser treatments are clinically proven to be safe and effective.
The treated area is typically warm to the touch for an hour, which is treated with ice. After the initial heat there may be swelling for a couple of days especially around the eyes. Makeup can be worn 12 hours after the procedure. Some redness and swelling may persist for a few days after the treatment. It is important to wear a 30+ SPF sunscreen before and after this treatment to prevent darkening of the skin, also known as Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).
The skin will continue to improve for six months following a 1540 treatment. As this treatment is a non-ablative, “milder”procedure, many patients will benefit most from a series of three treatments, spaced at least a month apart. This treatment can be also done in targeted areas, such as for crow’s feet or lip lines only. It also works well on chest lines and textural issues, and is also FDA approved for the treatment of scars. Scars and stretch marks can soften and fade within 4-6 treatments.
- Provides skin smoothing as well as skin tightening
- Relatively long-lasting improvements in skin quality and texture can be achieved
- Our device allows treatment of facial skin as well as skin on the neck, chest and hands
- Abnormal healing with scarring and pigment changes are possible
- Can exacerbate skin disorders, including allergic reactions or cold sores
- The wrinkles caused by movement of your facial muscles will eventually reappear
These are the top three pros and cons to weigh when considering laser skin resurfacing. If you want to focus on what is unique to you, please consult with your medical aesthetic provider.
The Icon Aesthetic System from Cynosure is the next generation of platform technology. It enables medical aesthetic practitioners the ability to provide a comprehensive suite of the most popular treatments. We use:
- XF Microlens: a high speed, non-ablative fractional resurfacing with increased coverage. This typically allows for a full face, one pass treatment in about 15-30 minutes
- XD Microlens: a non-ablative fractional resurfacing that uses point compression and a unique lens design to allow for a greater depth of penetration